Looking for cute and simple costumes for your dog that won’t break the bank? Check out these hand-made Halloween outfits for Fido that will fit perfectly, without causing discomfort. Made from craft supplies that can be found at your local retail store even at the very last minute, these costumes will make a big impression with no sewing machine needed!
In addition to scissors, a hot glue gun, hot glue sticks, yarn/string, and a dog collar or harness, all materials needed are noted below.
Your dog will be as cute as a bug in this get-up!
- Black felt
- 2 pieces of red felt, cut for your pet’s size
- Black pipe cleaner
- Plain headband
- Wrap black pipe cleaner around headband, leaving a long “antennae” sticking up
- Cut to the desired length
- Glue red pom-poms to tops of antennae
- Layer black felt and cut into dots. Set aside.
- Place one rectangle of red felt over the other.
- Cut small holes along the edge of the red felt attaching to the dog’s harness.
- String yarn through the holes.
- Keeping the two pieces of red felt layers lined up, cut each piece of red felt into a wing shape.
- Open the felt up and lay flat. Before gluing, plan out where you will place your black dots.
- Glue black dots to red felt. Let dry.
- Attach wings to pet harness using yarn attachments.
There’s nothing more magical than seeing the joy of Halloween through a child’s eyes, but we have to say seeing your dog dressed up like this comes pretty close.
- Rainbow yarn
- White yarn
- Thick construction paper
- Pink foam sheet
- Fluffy boa
- Colored felt
- Roll construction paper into a horn. Glue it to seal in place.
- Cut horn to the length you'd like.
- Cut a rectangle from a foam paper sheet and glue the horn to one side.
- Create unicorn mane by cutting yarn in strips and securing on one end.
- Loop yarn around the horn toward the back. Repeat.
- Next, create a forehead mane a bit shorter using the same process.
- Loop over the horn in the opposite direction (the front of the headband).
- Glue the yarn in place.
- Cut a piece of the fluffy boa, sized to go around the base of the horn and cover the yarn, and attach with glue. Let dry.
- Once dried, fold the cut foam panel with horn attached around the headband and glue in place.
- Fluff the yarn.
- Trim back or even the mane if necessary.
- Cut 2-4 rectangles of felt, sized to go around your dog’s legs. The amount depends on how many legs you’d like to dress up.
- Cut fluffy boa pieces in the same length.
- Cut small holes in smaller edges of the rectangle. String yarn through for creating the loop around the dog’s leg.
- Glue fluffy boa pieces to the felt. Let dry.
- The leg pieces can be tied loosely to the dog’s legs just above the paws.